Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Royal Birds

Our second cake decorating class is SO hard. I'm not sure if I'll pass. There is so much homework that I just don't have time for. You'd think I was in college or something. This week I spent equally time prepping for class as the class length itself only to find out that I was NOT prepared. My favorite part about this week was learning how to make these birds out of Royal Icing. I think I could make some pretty cool things by playing around with the Icing a little bit. The flowers that we learned did not look cute and the reason I am sure to fail is that throughout the first 3 weeks we are supposed to be making flowers, tons of them. Which none turned out this week and we missed the first week because Armand didn't get home in time for me to take the car. Then, on our last week we are supposed to bring in all the flowers we have made plus a frosted cake and decorate the cake with the birds and flowers. It's not looking good. I hope they don't mind if I just have 3 blue birds on my cake.

4 comments:

Cook family said...

lookin good.

Megs said...

Cute, how did you do that with frosting, they look so detailed and adorable. I want to use them as embellishments for a baby boy page!! Good job!! Just keep working hard, what you lack in time and preparation you definitely make up for in style and creativity!! You're amazingly talented!!

Wesley and Kristin Betenson said...

Amy, I know you may not believe this but these tast so much better after they have harden.....They were not bad!

Matt and Carla said...

So I clicked on your craft blog from your family blog, I forgot you even had this! You are such a creative soul, always up to something crafty it looks like! These birds look quite familiar, I took the Wilton cake classes awhile back...I'd have to say I absolutley hate royal icing. But I have found an alternative, for cookies, ect. (maybe you've tried it before) you know the colored chocolate circles used to do candy molds ect, they come in every color at Michaels? I melt those in the microwave, fill up my piping bags and use those like frosting (if you let it harden a bit after melting, it doesn't seep out of the bag so quickly. Very yummy on sugar cookies vs. the gross hard as a rock royal icing & it hardens just as nice. I've used this method when doing cookies on sticks, so I can put the plastic wrapper over. I also love fondant but hate the taste, so I've used starburst (melting pieces and shaping them when doing flowers, designs ect. also try soften taffy- it works great for roses, I'd never try to cover a whole cake w/it though, ha ha.) Some day I really want to create a good tasting form of fondant, maybe when I have more time on my hands. Anyways, looks like you have been having fun, cute vitamin bottle wrap!